Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Earth Hour

Have you ever heard of Earth Hour? Me either until about 10 minutes ago. Well someone, somewhere (Sydney, Australia to be exact) came up with the idea in 2007 for everyone to turn off their lights for one hour to "vote" for elected officials to take action on climate change. This year you can "vote" by turning off your lights on March 28th at 8:30 p.m. for one hour. There is more information and a sign up to have your vote counted at http://www.earthhour.org/

So, if you choose to participate with over 1 billion people worldwide, go for a walk, go to bed early or do something fun by candlelight!

2 comments:

MaryS said...

HI Dan-
I am also a recycling coordinator for our city--just found your blog--LOVE IT! Im thinking of posting a recycling blog for our city--can you give me some advice????

Dan The Recycling Man said...

Mary,

Glad to hear you are trying a new and different way to get the word out. My advice on a city blog is to respond to what your residents are inquiring about. Keep it fresh, timely, and do it regularly. Promote it in your city newsletter, local newpaper, and work networks. I try to post things weekly, but I think I'm on a 10 day average per post. More professional bloggers tend to push the envelope and are a bit more controversial than me, but in government we have to walk a fine line. I consider myself a rookie at this and if you have any suggestions, ideas, or find other things that help you, please share your thoughts. Happy blogging!