Monday, February 2, 2009

Superbowl Boosts Recycling

100 million people (give or take a few) and I watched the Superbowl last night. If they were like me they helped boost recycling with the number of cans and bottles collected for recycling this week. Let's do the math together. To simplify my experiment, say everyone consumes an extra 2 cans of their preferred beverage, which is a conservative estimate for many people that watch the game. Yes, some live it up a bit more with bottled beverages and wine, but let's talk aluminum cans.

100,000,000 people * 2 extra cans/person = 200,000,000 cans. "WikiAnswers" says about 28 empty cans equals a pound. 200,000,000 cans divided by 28 cans/lb. gives us 7.14 million pounds of extra recyclable cans from the Superbowl. Converted to money, at $0.60/lb. that's over $4.28 million dollars in aluminum! Wow, the Superbowl really does boost recycling!

2 comments:

Chris said...

I know we are supposed to recycle aluminum and glass - but what about plastic? Is it true we should only recycle #1 and #2? I saw that on the news. I like to recycle as much as I can, please let me know. Thanks for all your recycling help! I know it makes a difference in our community.

Dan The Recycling Man said...

Right now the only plastic we can recycle in our curbside recycling program is plastic bottles that are #1 or #2. We are looking at expanding plastic recycling in 2010. I'll keep everyone posted on this. In the meantime, the City of Coon Rapids has a drop off center that accepts #1 through #6 plastic for recycling. Our residents may use this site for plastic recycling. Here is a link to their site. http://www.ci.coon-rapids.mn.us/publicworks/Recycling/recyclecenter.htm